Learn and Travel
Your St. Ambrose education doesn't have to end when you graduate.
As a member of our Alumni Association, you have the opportunity to continue your learning throughout your life and career. Through our alumni tours, as well as our campus lectures with world-renowned scholars and professional development trainings with current faculty and staff, we offer you the chance to delve into academic interests and business topics that further your education.
Our learning opportunities run the gamut of subjects and costs, including a 10-day excursion to Italy to study the life of our patron namesake and free academic discussions on the university campus. Some alumni even choose to audit courses!
St. Ambrose University Professional Development provides public and customized training and consulting solutions to individuals and businesses. Academically-based with real world applicability, training topics include grant writing, project management, and leadership and supervision.
To talk about our current classes or explore a customized program, call us at 563/333-5720.
Ambrose's Italy: Alumni & Friends Trip
RESCHEDULED FOR 2021 DUE TO THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK.
Please contact the Alumni Office, 563-333-6290 for more information.
The Alumni Italy Study Tour to Italy is no ordinary excursion! Father Bud Grant, an expert on the life of Saint Ambrose, leads participants through back streets and alleys in some of Italy's most beloved cities. Filled with rich history and culture, this trip will require participants to do as much thinking as walking! Throughout this intensive visit, you will be intellectually, spiritually, socially, physically, and artistically enriched. If you are interested in immersing yourself in the life of our Patron Saint, Ambrose of Milan, then this is the experience for you!
Trip Dates: TBD 2021
City Stops: Rome, Assisi, Florence, and Milan
Top Destinations: Tomb of Saint Ambrose, The Scavi, Sistine Chapel, Uffizi, Colosseum, and much more!
Cost: $3,000 per person. A non-refundable deposit of $1,000 to secure your place on the trip (due as soon as possible and accepted until capacity is full).
Number of attendees: This tour is limited in order to enhance the experience of the participants through ease of travel and access to the guide.
Reservations: If you are interested in the upcoming trip, please contact Anne Gannaway at 563/333-6283 or email@example.com. Contact Fr. Bud at firstname.lastname@example.org with specific questions or for recommended readings.
"We'll explore places in Italy you would never get to on your own." - Fr. Bud
Daily Itinerary: (Subject to modification)
• May 20 - Depart USA
• May 21 - Arrive in Rome, Rome sightseeing and reception
• May 22 - Rome sightseeing
• May 23 - Rome sightseeing
• May 24 - Rome sightseeing
• May 25 - Rome sightseeing
• May 26 - Travel to Assisi, Assisi sightseeing
• May 27 - Travel to Florence, Florence sightseeing
• May 28 - Florence sightseeing
• May 29 - Travel to Milan, Milan sightseeing
• May 30 - Milan sightseeing
• May 31 - Depart from Milan
• Fr. Bud is an expert on Saint Ambrose of Milan. He leads an annual study abroad course in Italy, speaks Italian, and knows the back streets and obscure stories.
• You will experience many of the world's greatest art collections, ancient ruins, colossal architecture, sacred sites, and intimate cultural details. While this is not an academic course, you will be intellectually, spiritually, socially, physically, and artistically enriched.
• This is an "athletic" course that will require participants to walk several hours a day for several days in a row in all conditions. Accommodates are modest. There will be some free time each day.
• The tour is part of St. Ambrose University's initiative to establish the university as a prominent international center for the study of our patron saint. You will end with a much deeper appreciate of Ambrose of Milan, his theology, and his times.
$3,000 per person. A non-refundable deposit of $1,000 to secure your place on the trip (due as soon as possible and accepted until capacity is full). The non-refundable balance of $2,000 due on February 1, 2020. The amount is payable to St. Ambrose University.
- Hotels stays for 10 nights (double occupancy)
- Train fare between cities
- Admission to approximately 10 museums
- Transportation expenses in Milan and Rome
- Welcome reception in Rome
- One meal per city
- One fabulous scholar (Fr. Bud) to lead the daily activities!
Additional Out-of-pocket Expenses (approx. $2,000 per person)
- Flight arriving to Rome and departing from Milan (approximately $1,500)
- Majority of meals (approximately $400)
- Museum entrance fees to a few of the less expensive museums or places you might be interest in visiting during your free time ($100)
These estimates are dependent on exchange rates, how much you eat and drink, and personal shopping. If money remains from the fees paid to St. Ambrose, we will make a donation to the Academy for the Study of Saint Ambrose of Milan (ASSAM).