Learn and Travel
Your St. Ambrose education doesn't have to end when you graduate.
As a member of our Alumni Association, you have the opportunity to continue your learning throughout your life and career. Through our alumni tours, as well as our campus lectures with world-renowned scholars and professional development trainings with current faculty and staff, we offer you the chance to delve into academic interests and business topics that further your education.
Our learning opportunities run the gamut of subjects and costs, from 10-day excursions to Italy to study the life of our patron namesake to free academic discussions on the university campus. Some alumni even choose to audit courses!
Rev. Robert "Bud" Grant brings alumni and friends on a 10-day tour of Italy.
St. Ambrose University Professional Development provides public and customized training and consulting solutions to individuals and businesses. Academically-based with real world applicability, training topics include grant writing, project management, and leadership and supervision.
To talk about our current classes or explore a customized program, call us at 563/333-5720.
Italy Study Tour
The Alumni Italy Study Tour to Italy is no ordinary excursion! Father Bud Grant, an expert on the life of Saint Ambrose, leads participants through back streets and alleys in some of Italy's most beloved cities. Filled with rich history and culture, this trip will require participants to do as much thinking as walking! Throughout this intensive visit, you will be intellectually, spiritually, socially, physically, and artistically enriched. If you are interested in immersing yourself in the life of our Patron Saint, Ambrose of Milan, then this is the experience for you!
Trip Dates: March 11 - 22, 2018 City Stops: Rome, Assisi, Florence, and Milan
Top Destinations: Tomb of Saint Ambrose, The Scavi, Sistine Chapel, Uffizi, Colosseum, and much more!
Cost: $3,000 per person. A non-refundable deposit of $1,000 to secure your place on the trip (due as soon as possible and accepted until capacity is full). The non-refundable balance of $2000 is due on December 1, 2017
Number of attendees: This tour is limited in order to enhance the experience of the participants through ease of travel and access to the guide.
Reservations: If you are interested in the upcoming trip, please contact Anne Gannaway at 563/333-6283. You may also register online!
"We'll explore places in Italy you would never get to on your own." - Fr. Bud
- Fr. Bud and Ethan are experts on Saint Ambrose of Milan. They lead an annual study abroad course in Italy, speak Italian, and know the back streets and obscure stories.
- You will experience many of the world's greatest art collections, ancient ruins, colossal architecture, sacred sites, and intimate cultural details. While this is not an academic course, you will be intellectually, spiritually, socially, physically, and artistically enriched.
- This is an "athletic" course that will require participants to walk several hours a day for several days in a row in all conditions. Accommodates are modest. There will be some free time each day.
- The tour is part of St. Ambrose University's initiative to establish the university as a prominent international center for the study or our patron saint. You will end with a much deeper appreciate of Ambrose of Milan, his theology, and his times.
- Hotels stays for 10 nights (double occupancy)
- Train fare between cities
- Admission to approximately 10 museums
- Transportation expenses in Milan and Rome
- Welcome reception in Rome
- One meal per city
- Two fabulous scholars to lead the daily activities!
Additional Out-of-pocket Expenses (appx. $2,000 per person)
- Flight arriving to Rome and departing from Milan (approximately $1,500)
- Majority of meals (approximately $400)
- Museum entrance fees to a few of the less expensive museums or places you might be interest in visiting during your free time ($100)
These estimates are dependent on exchange rates, how much you eat and drink, and personal shopping. If money remains from the fees paid to St. Ambrose, we will make a donation to the Academy for the Study of Saint Ambrose of Milan (ASSAM).
Subject to change
- March 11 - Depart USA
- March 12 - Arrive in Rome, Rome sightseeing and reception
- March 13 - Rome sightseeing
- March 14 - Rome sightseeing
- March 15 - Rome sightseeing
- March 16 - Rome sightseeing
- March 17 - Travel to Assisi, Assisi sightseeing
- March 18 - Travel to Florence, Florence sightseeing
- March 19 - Florence sightseeing
- March 20 - Travel to Milan, Milan sightseeing
- March 21 - Milan sightseeing
- March 22 - Depart from Milan