Professor | Dean | Vice President of Strategic Initiatives
Dr. Cassady is a guest lecturer on issues related to cardiopulmonary physical therapy.
She specializes in cardiopulmonary physical therapy.
Her clinical experiences are in inpatient and outpatient cardiac rehabilitation, acute care, and intensive care.
She is past editor of The Cardiopulmonary Journal and past associate editor of the Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy.
Dr. Cassady has written numerous articles, chapters and abstracts on topics related to cardiopulmonary physical therapy. She has received several professional awards for teaching, research and professional service. She is also a fellow in the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
Dr. Cassady serves the University in the capacity of Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and as Dean of the College of Health and Human Services.
- PhD, University of Iowa, Exercise Science
- MA, Certification in Physical Therapy, University of Iowa, Physical Therapy
- BA, University of Northern Iowa, Biology
Certifications and Licensure
- Management of patients with cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases
- Body Composition
My favorite place on campus is the Center for Health Sciences Education. It’s great to see our state-of-the-art facilities in use by students preparing to be members of the health care team.
Dr. Sandy Cassady
Cassady SL, Cahalin L: Cardiovascular Pathophysiology. In Cahalin L, DeTurk W. (eds) Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy: An Evidence-Based Approach. 3 rd Edition McGraw Hill: New York; 2018, p 135-162.
Drefus, L, Cassady SL, and Raggio C. Interdisciplinary Care Improves Functional Mobility in an Individual with Type IX Osteogenesis Imperfecta. HSS Jrnl; 2015, 11:84-89.
Cassady SL. Preparing for an Academic Deanship. In Vongalis-Macrow A (ed). Career Moves: Mentoring for Women Advancing Their Careers and Leadership in Academia. Senses Publishers: Rotterdam, The Netherlands; 2014, p. 95-107.
Cassady SL. From Silos to Bridges: Building Effective Teams for Health Care Delivery, Linda Crane Memorial Lecture, Cardiopulm Phys Ther 2013 June; 24(2): 5-11.
Cassady SL. Effectiveness of Deep Water Running for Improving Health and Fitness in Athletes, Sedentary Adults, and Select Patient Populations, PT 2012 Annual Conference and Exposition, Tampa, FL, June 2012 (Platform Presentation).
Drefus L, Cassady SL. Role of physical therapy in caring for a pediatric patient with osteogenesis imperfecta following orthopedic surgery. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, LA, February 2011 (Platform Presentation).
Cassady SL. Estimating Treatment Effects from Trials with Dichotomous Outcomes. Cardiopulm Phys Ther. 2005; 16(1):32-34.
Frank LM, Cassady SL. Health and wellness in entry-level physical therapy students: are measures of stress, anxiety and academic performance related? Cardiopulm Phys Ther, 2005; J16(4):5-13.
Cassady SL. Peripheral Arterial Disease: A Review of Epidemiology, Clinical Presentation, and Effectiveness of Exercise Training. Cardiopulm Phys Ther. 2004; 15(3):6-12.
Evans C, Cassady SL. Sudden Cardiac Death: What Rehabilitation Professionals Need to Know. J Sport Rehabil. 2003; 12:259-271.
More about Dr. Cassady
- Linda Crane Memorial Lectureship, American Physical Therapy Association
- St. Ambrose University Doctor of Physical Therapy Special Recognition Award
- Fellow, American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Alumni of Year, Heritage Recognition Award, University of Northern Iowa
- Clinical Research Award, Iowa Physical Therapy Association
- Graduate Professor of Year, St. Ambrose University
- Higher Learning Commission Peer Review Corps
- United Way of the Quad Cities Board of Directors
- Genesis Health System Quality and Safety Board Committee
College of Health and Human Services
Center for Health Sciences Education 278
1320 W. Lombard St.
Davenport, IA 52804