Return to St. Ambrose
At St. Ambrose University, we take great pride in helping students of all ages and backgrounds realize their personal and professional goals.
We also understand that sometimes the journey to graduation includes taking a break from classes for a variety of reasons. Ultimately, we want to see you achieve your dreams and earn your degree, which is why we have put together a team of dedicated staff members to help you return to St. Ambrose.
We commit to offering one-on-one evaluations of your academic record and recommendations on how to complete your degree through a program tailored to your needs and goals. This could include a mix of online, hybrid, weekend, evening, or traditional daytime classes.
Follow the steps below to re-start your journey toward graduation.
Call one of the following to discuss your degree completion goals. These returning student advisors will help you develop a clear plan to graduate.
- Undergraduate Students: 563-333-5707
- Graduate Students: 563-333-6308
- Fill out the online application so that your transcripts can be reviewed and you can register for classes. You will need the following information handy: the year you stopped taking classes at SAU and transcripts from any institutions where you took classes since leaving SAU.
- Once you are accepted, register for classes with the help of your returning student advisor.
Your advisor will also introduce you to a dedicated financial aid counselor to work with you on financing your education.
- What are the requirements to return to St. Ambrose?
Former St. Ambrose students who have left the university for at least one semester are required to complete the online application and provide transcripts for any other school they have attended since leaving the university. To be fully accepted back to the university, students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 since leaving.
- What if my GPA is below a 2.0?
Students with a GPA below 2.0 still should complete the online application and it will be evaluated. You may be able to return to classes under provisional guidelines.
- Is there a cost to apply to return to St. Ambrose?
No. There is no application fee.
- Do I need to enroll in the same degree program I was taking when I left the university?
No. We understand that life and career goals change, and we can develop a degree completion plan that aligns with your goals now – including a bachelor's program tailored specifically to you.
- I have a financial hold on my account. Can I still return?
Let's talk. There are ways that we can work together to devise a plan for you.
- How do I know what classes I need to graduate?
We will sit down with you to evaluate what classes and how many credits you need to graduate and help you set up a plan to complete those courses and credit hours. We may be able to offer credits for life, work, and military experience.
- How do classes fit into my already busy life?
We offer online, hybrid, evening, and weekend classes, in addition to our traditional main campus courses. St. Ambrose is steadily adding new online courses to meet students' needs.
- How do I start the process?
Complete the online application (it's quick and free).