Frequently Asked Questions

These are the questions prospective international students ask about St. Ambrose University

Q: Where is St. Ambrose University located?
A. The campus is located in the city of Davenport, Iowa, in the Quad Cities area, close to the border of Illinois. There are approximately 11,000 international students in the state of Iowa. Students can easily access the Moline International Airport through connections in Minneapolis, Chicago, and Detroit. Map

Q. Is SAU a public or private institution?
A. SAU is a private university, offering more than 60 majors at the bachelor's level, 14 master's level programs, and three doctoral programs.

The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, and some programs carry their own professional accreditation.

Q. How much does it cost to attend SAU?
A. Tuition at SAU is the same for international and domestic students. Please see the Cost of Attending page for current tuition and fees.

Graduate degree costs vary depending on the academic program and degree. Please follow this link to learn more

Q. How many international students are studying at SAU?
A. In the 2017-18 academic year, we had more than 130 international students studying here on F-1 visas. These students represent more than 30 countries from around the world. In some cases, students are here with their families.

SAU is proud to sponsor student organizations for students from different countries, cultures, and religions and makes every effort to provide students the opportunity to maintain their cultural practices while living in the United States.

Q. Do you have scholarships for international students?
A. YES, students can receive scholarships. You can apply for assistance before you enter SAU and once you are in your program.

Q. When should I apply for the scholarships?
A. There is no need to apply for a scholarship. The university admissions office will make this decision and inform you of an award.

Q. Can I work while I study?
A. Yes. You can work up to 20 hours on campus. Students can work off campus after the first nine months of study but need to check with their department and SAU's International Student Services Office to make sure they stay within the parameters of their visa.* It is important to note that students will not earn enough money to pay for their tuition by working on campus.*

Q: Does St. Ambrose have athletic teams?
A: Yes! And we have some of the best-performing teams in our conferences. Check out the website

Q. What about TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, or SAT scores?
A. The various entrance exams are an important part of your application but they are not the only criteria for us to judge you by. In fact, you can be conditionally accepted without a TOEFL score and undergraduates do not need to provide an SAT score.

Graduate programs will want to see a GRE score and some College of Business programs require a GMAT.

Please send an official copy of your scores to SAU via ETS. They can send these scores to us electronically.

Q. What are the deadlines for applying to SAU?
A. We have a rolling admission here at SAU and in some cases can accept students for entry in the fall, spring and summer semesters. This means that we will consider your application whenever you send it to us.

There are two important things to remember:
· Graduate programs sometimes have limited space and eventually fill up.
· You need to leave yourself enough time to be accepted, receive your I-20, get a visa interview, get your visa, and make it to SAU.

Q. How long do I have to wait to receive an acceptance decision?
A. If you are applying for undergraduate admissions you will likely hear from us within one week.

If you are applying for graduate admissions you will likely hear back from us within three weeks.

Q. Do you provide additional services to international students?
A. Yes, we have a comprehensive Office of International Education that will help you with visa processing, arrival assistance, lodging, local shopping, course registration, and integration. For more information about our services, please contact Cathy Toohey, Student Adviser in International Student Services.

Q. How do I apply for an undergraduate degree program?
A. We have a complete list of application requirements developed for each type of student: undergraduate, transfer, or exchange.

Q. How do I apply for a graduate degree program?
A. In order to apply for graduate admittance, please visit the graduate page for a complete list of requirements. Please see each program's website for test score and letter of recommendation requirements.

Do you have additional questions? Chat with us on WhatsApp at +1-571-789-1596. 


International Admissions
Admissions and Welcome Center
518 W. Locust St.
Davenport, IA 52803
WhatsApp: +1-571-789-1596

So, what's next?

Are you ready to take the next step? Click on the visit button below to learn more about our virtual and in-person visit options.