Make a Referral

As a faculty or staff member, you may be one of the first to become aware of personal difficulties affecting a student.

Consider referring a student to the Counseling Center or submitting a CARE Report if you notice any of these warning signs:

  • A student seems excessively tired, anxious, depressed, irritable, angry, or sad
  • You find yourself doing more personal counseling than academic advising with a student
  • A student seems hopeless or helpless
  • You notice marked changes in a student's appearance or habits, for example, deterioration in grooming, hygiene, weight loss, interpersonal withdrawal, acceleration in activity or speech, or change in academic performance
  • A student's thoughts or actions appear bizarre or unusual
  • A student's use of alcohol or other substances interferes with her/his relationships or work

As a student, if you are concerned about a friend, reach out to your Resident Advisor, your Hall Director, or SAU Security. Please know that if we consult on a referral we will not be able to share information back to you as it will be confidential.

How to refer

If you notice any of the warning signs mentioned above, inform the student of your concern in a straightforward, matter-of-fact manner. Be specific regarding the behavior patterns you have observed.

Finally, suggest personal counseling and refer the student to the Counseling Center. Encourage the student to come to the Counseling Center during our regular hours.

In addition, the individual can call us for an appointment. Except in emergencies, the student should be allowed the option of declining a referral for counseling.

Mental Health Resources

The are numerous online resources about mental health for college students. Consider visiting some of these links:

Faculty and Staff: Submit a CARE Report

So, what's next?

Are you ready to take the next step? St. Ambrose offers more than 60 programs and 27 athletic teams and sports to join on campus. Become an Ambrosian today!