Ambrosian Day of Service
The Alumni Association Board and Alumni Engagement Office have expanded this community service event to alumni. Think of it like Bee Happy Hour, but with a focus on service!
Our more recent alumni may remember Bee the Difference Day on campus. This student-run event gathers hundreds of students to do good in the Quad Cities community, especially the neighborhoods closest to campus.
A Celebration of Service
On Saturday, October 12, 2019, Ambrosians around the nation will celebrate our collective tradition through teaching, learning, scholarship, service, and the pursuit of justice and peace with a day of service.
Nationwide Service Days
Dedicated alumni volunteers organize group service projects for their local St. Ambrose communities across the nation. Connect with Ambrosians around the world who are serving their communities by connecting on social media using #SAUDayofService. Email photos of your service projects to the Office of Alumni Engagement at email@example.com.
See below for the 2019 Ambrosian Day of Service details and locations.
How to Participate
Want to get involved? Complete this interest form and the Alumni Engagement office will be in touch with you to discuss next steps. If you have any questions, please contact Kelsey Pence, Coordinator of Event Engagement, at PenceKelsey@sau.edu.
2018 Group Service Projects
View photos from this year's group service projects and find others on social media using #SAUDayofService.
2019 Day of Service
If you are interested in hosting a service day in your area, please contact Kelsey at PenceKelsey@sau.edu or 563-333-6289.
Join Dave Asmus '76 and your local alumni community for the Arizona Alumni Chapter's fourth annual service day!
Celebrate St. Ambrose's longstanding commitment to social responsibility and service while connecting with fellow Ambrosians in the Phoenix area.
Saturday, October 12, 2019
Feed My Starving Children
1351 S. Alma School Rd., Mesa, AZ 85210
Brunch to follow (optional)
Hosted by Dave '76 & Kandy Asmus
Dress in comfortable clothing, preferably your St. Ambrose gear! Use #SAUDayofService on social media.
Please register by Friday, October 4 by sending an email to Dave Asmus '76 at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your RSVP whether you are bringing children so appropriate activities can be planned.
Founded in 1987, Feed My Starving Children (FMSC) is a Christian non-profit that provides nutritionally complete meals specifically formulated for malnourished children. Donations pay for meal ingredients that are hand-packed by volunteers. Meals are donated to FMSC food partners around the world, where kids are fed and lives are saved!
On Sunday, November 11, the Alumni Association Board and Alumni Engagement team participated alongside more than 500 students to help the Davenport community prepare their yards for the winter.
Stay tuned for additional details regarding the 2019 event.
St. Ambrose alumni who live in cities across the nation can volunteer to host a local event for other Ambrosians in their area. Below is a summary of what's involved if you'd like to host a local service event. Detailed online forms will guide you through the steps, and the Office of Alumni Engagement can work with you to help make your event a success.
The office of Alumni Engagement suggests that you start planning about 8-10 weeks in advance and confirm details 6 weeks prior to the event.
• Decide what organization you wish to work with; consider the number of alumni in your geographic area
• Select the appropriate venue and timeframe
• Reserve a spot at a local restaurant for lunch or drinks after the project
• Provide details to the Office of Alumni Engagement
• Collect RSVP's as they come in
• Coordinate logistics locally (reserve the venue, enlist other volunteers)
• Manage the event onsite (check the setup, greet alumni, manage the flow of the service day, clean up at the end of event)
• Provide the Office of Alumni Engagement with a list of attendees after the event
• Provide a list of area alumni (after volunteer has completed a confidentiality agreement)
• Provide advice based on event experience
• Send a formal email invitation (4-6 weeks before the event) and a follow-up reminder (1-2 weeks before the event) to area alumni
• Provide SAU supplies and giveaways (name tags, check-in sheet, etc.)